Male homosexual attraction to minors
This site uses the phrase male homosexual attraction to minors to refer to feelings of sexual attraction that some men have for underage boys.
Men with such feelings vary considerably:
- Some are primarily attracted to boys who have not yet entered puberty, while others are mainly attracted to adolescent boys.
- Some also have similar feelings for underage girls.
- Many are primarily or exclusively attracted to underage boys, while others have these feelings in addition to feelings for adult women (heterosexuality), adult men (homosexuality), or both (bisexuality).2 This site is concerned with those who are preferentially or exclusively attracted to boys.
Few researchers have closely investigated the feelings of such men, but those who have say that their feelings for boys may resemble romantic feelings most men have for women, frequently involving feelings of affection and being "in love." 3
It is important to note that the phrase "male homosexual attraction to minors" does not necessarily indicate sexual activity with boys, but rather feelings of attraction. Men with such feelings may or may not act on them sexually. According to researchers:
- Some abstain from sex with boys.
- Others engage in sexual activity with willing boys.
- Still others pressure or coerce boys into sexual activity.4
However, researchers seem agreed that force or violence is rare.5
Regardless of the willingness of the boys, any type of sexual behavior between men and boys (or older and younger boys) raises important ethical issues, and any action other than celibacy is almost universally condemned by society.
3. Howells, 1981; Ingram, 1981; Li, 1990b; Sandfort, 1987; Wilson & Cox, 1983.
4. For more details, see the section of this site on behavior.
5. Bradford et al., 1988; Howells, 1981; Ingram, 1981; Okami & Goldberg, 1992; Sandfort, 1987; West & Woodhouse, 1990; Wilson & Cox, 1983.